1.02.2006

there's gotta be something more

more than school, more than routine, more than competition and callousness. why do we settle for less? we could reach beyond ourselves but we don't. we insist on staying in our own little worlds, content to post meaningless chatter on technological bulletin boards. does anyone really care what is on these posts? they are not worth the trouble they cause. and yet, we hope that people stumble across our words and find something worthwhile and attractive in them. pretense.

i think that's why i love pride and prejudice...it challenges the pretense of character and exposes people for who they really are through time and experience. each time i watch pride and prejudice (the real one), i fall in love with it. elizabeth bennet is unassuming, rational, calm, and collected in everything she says and does. no one walks all over her...she has spunk. yet there is a genuine kindness and intellect in her spirit; she wants to do the right thing. i admire her for being who she is. too bad i can't be as eloquent as jane austen has allowed miss eliza bennett to be:

"Yes, my youngest [sister] is not sixteen. Perhaps she is full young to be much in company. But really, ma'am, I think it would be very hard upon younger sisters, that they should not have their share of society and amusement, because the elder may not have the means or inclination to marry early. The lastborn has as good a right to the pleasures of youth as the first. And to be kept back on such a motive! I think it would not be very likely to promote sisterly affection or delicacy of mind."

there she goes, railing against the societal restraints of the time period, and in such an intellectual way that not many (besides lady catherine de bourgh) can argue her logic. i think jane austen had quite a bit of spunk herself. and to be spunky is a wonderful thing, as evidenced by beppe.

back to simple and relaxing life in toronto. a walk to the lake is in order, followed by reading, napping, and baking bread. mmmm. happy 2006 to anyone who happens upon my blog. = )

5 comments:

Jihad Hernandez said...

Holla! It is sad, but I will not be in Sioux Center this winter. But I am leaving for Minneapolis tomorrow! Yay!! I called Karissa and she said "You're coming tomorrow? What? Great!" It was awesome. One of my friends from the film semester is picking me up and dropping me off at the K's. From there, I greyhound to Des Moines and back. Hooray! The Midwest in Janurary! Who couldn't be happier!

Jihad Hernandez said...

It's sad. I am in the MN, and you are not here. You are 4.5 hours south and west. I weep....for myself.

Allison said...

Post, dangit! :)

Jihad Hernandez said...

My dear Andrea, I love pride and prejudice too, but only because I'm a very prideful and racist person.

Andrea said...

Al...ditto.

Rosie...yes.