12.08.2007

what they don't teach you in school (at least not that i remember)

1. Waiting sucks. I guess I had to wait my turn to answer a question or to get a sip from the drinking fountain, but that's not even real waiting. Grrr.

2. Catching mice may be preferable to leaving out bags of poison for them so that they wake you up in the middle of the night with their chewing and you possibly find them dead 5 days later.

3. The first Christmas season away from home is very difficult. Because now every stupid sappy Christmas carol makes you cry because you're not hearing it in the familiar living room or with the familiar people.

4. Other people's Christmas traditions are not as cool as mine.

5. Adjusting to not having friends your age is difficult, especially after living in a college community (where something is ALWAYS happening) all of your remembered days.

6. Life apparently goes on even when you're down and depressed, dragged kicking and screaming into a world you're not sure you want to be a part of (and by dragged, I mean I made the decision to sign a contract that would take me 1700 miles away from life as I know it).

7. Time actually flies if you'd stop thinking about it. IT'S FREAKING DECEMBER ALREADY!!! AND I HAVE TAUGHT MY STUDENTS NOTHING!!!

*Edit: The latter part of #7 may not be entirely true. However, I don't have the courage to take a poll.

6 comments:

Philip said...

For my 2 cents, you a wonderful teacher. So far the overwhelming majority of those polled (me) agree!!! Congratulations!

Anonymous said...

Waiting, dear daughter, is what Advent is all about -

(...and I'll cast my vote with ogukuo on your teaching ability.)

Allison said...

I bet you suck as a teacher.
But at least you're cute!

(How's that for sisterly support?)

Nikki said...

Being away from home is definitely hard during Christmas. You can do it my friend, I know you can! Oh, and, what are you doing on the 22nd? That might be my only free time during the very short days I'm home...let me know!

Nick said...

I wish I could hang out with you for Christmas *slash* every weekend. *Hug*

Paul K said...

I feel like I had a fantastically clever comment when you first posted this blog entry. But I have assumed I already posted it since you posted. So I got nothin'.