9.27.2008

a book a day

when i was in college, i did not read for pleasure. being an english major meant i had to spend the majority of my time reading and writing papers, and reading for pleasure was not in the cards. there were too many other things to do and too many people to hang out with. in the summers, i would indulge in brain candy just to remind myself that reading could be fun. what a wretched english major i was.

but NOW...i am not in college anymore. i am busy teaching and spending time with someone special and singing in choir, but i have discovered that i DO love to read. and not just brain candy, unless you call Jane Austen brain candy. which i don't.

right now, i am in the middle of about 6 books, although i suppose i should qualify that by saying i haven't picked up two of those books since at least june if not longer.

which books are these? you might ask. here is my current list (as of last evening):

anne's house of dreams (l.m. montgomery)
a break with charity (ann rinaldi)
the poisonwood bible (barbara kingsolver)
the bean trees (barbara kingsolver)
harry potter and the sorceror's stone (j.k. rowling)
asperger's syndrome: a guide for parents and professionals (tony attwood)

what books are YOU reading?

*note: thank you, philip, for encouraging my habit. :)

7 comments:

Tim said...

Are you still singing in WC? Or did you join a different group?

Bexter said...

oooh ooh!! I can actually participate in this conversation, because surprisingly enough I read too!! They gave me this job, where, I'm like, supposed to be knowledgeable about stuff like that... so yeah... I read. And I too am on the Harry Potter books. Currently on Book 3!
I also read the Time Traveler's Wife which is sooo stellar. I actually got through Uncle Tom's Cabin last spring too which was a huge stretch for me! How is the Bean Trees? I think Sarah read Poisonwood bible... what did you think of it? It tops my list for my next one... (after Harry Potter, which might be a while yet)

Miss Frizzle said...

oooh! I am reading like 5 books right now too! I am just finishing up the book "the namesake" by an Indian author and it is a "vacation" read, but very good. Also, loved the posionwood bible! I love books about other cultures. I am also reading a bill byrson book about small town america, entertaining. I am also reading "Memiors of a Geshia" which is a great read too. Hmmm, i think there are a few other ones too... but i cna't remember right now! great post! Let me know what the fav. is!:) Oh! Love the harry potter books, i read book 7 in 7hrs one saturday this summer... so good!

Chad said...

Reading is neat. You are smart to love it. Beth Hengeveld moved to Denver this summer so now I have someone to share and talk about books with. Its fantastic. I am currently reading the Catcher in the Rye.

Hows life?

Anonymous said...

Reading your post makes me want to forget vacuuming this evening and just curl up with a good book. :-) I'm hoping to take time to read just for pleasure again -- perhaps after this week is finished!?

Love you~
Mumsie

Ruth said...

Just finished The Red Tent by Anita Diamant (just finished means within the last month ;-D). I would highly recommend it to anyone who has a good understanding of the actual Biblical account of Jacob, because the book messes with it quite a bit... but adds plenty of neat background. By the way, I really, really, really like your new blog layout. :-)

Allison said...

Dude, it's been, like, over a MONTH since you last blogged. WTF?