10.25.2005

exposed

For our Christmas choir concert, we are singing two beautiful arrangements by Mendelssohn: Im Advent and Weihnachten. Good thing we have some nice songs, because a couple of them are just plain strange and dissonant. Part of me wishes I was in chorale so I could sing traditional Christmas music in the Service of Lessons & Carols.

The following lyrics are from our gorgeous Christmas piece by John Rutter:

Loving shepherd of Thy sheep,
Keep Thy lamb, in safety keep.
Nothing can thy power withstand;
None can pluck me from Thy hand.

I would praise Thee every day
Gladly all Thy will obey,
Like Thy blessed ones above,
Happy in Thy perfect love.

Loving shepherd, ever near,
Teach Thy lamb Thy voice to hear;
Suffer not my steps to stray
From the straight and narrow way.

Where thou leadest, I would go,
Walking in Thy steps below,
Till before my Father's throne
I shall know as I am known.


The last two lines get to me. I'm going to be exposed someday, and it scares me and relieves me at the same time. No more secrets; no more lies. This is part of the reason that guys freak me out. I don't like the idea of people knowing things about me; it's risky to make myself vulnerable.

Speaking of guys, Al, I called Bepa tonight for her birthday...she said she'd keep on the lookout for a guy for me. If she finds one in Platte, I have to go there to get him (Bepa's orders). Did she make you any such offers?

4 comments:

Allison said...

No, she didn't. I guess that means I'm not the favored granddaughter this week. Although when I told her how old you were, she said, "I was married by the time I was 21!" and then asked how old I was, and seemed a little disconcerted that I'm so ancient and yet unmarried. Life is rough.

Jihad Hernandez said...

yes, yes it is. I have nothing interesting to say. Except what choir are you in? Are you in the cc? are you coming to visit me? Well, maybe I should have known that already.

Nikki said...

I think that many people are so restrained/held back in relationships because of the fear of being exposed. And possibly why they fear Christianity. I think you've hit it on the nose.

Andrea said...

Yea! People love me! Life is rough, Al, especially with a goobery Bepa like Bepa. And Rosie, I am in CC, and someday I will visit you. I saw K-Stel this weekend...that was fun. We talked about you. And Nikki, you have a blog!