10.23.2005

Today is cold and bleary. I thought for awhile it felt like Christmas, but I dislike dreary weather. Too depressing. Dre and Heather and Philip came for lunch today; we cranked out the John Denver tunes and discussed Brad Link's quirks. Heather and I made yummy pizza and we all partook.

Partook...sounds like communion.

The sermon this morning was interesting. Sometimes I think Pastor Herm just likes to shake up traditional, anti-change CRC people. Last week he talked about the importance of giving (as in tithes) and this week, he pointed out that 2/3 of biblical tithing is wrapped up in receiving, not giving. Check out Deuteronomy 14 & 15! Maybe the Calvinist/perfectionist tradition runs too deeply in my veins, but my first reaction was: "That's selfish!" What can I say? I'm a work in progress.

And tonight, I am skipping church to relax and do homework. Again, the Calvinist part of me is giving me the guilt nudge.

The coming week will be crazy. And sometimes it feels so pointless...running from one thing to the next, and for what? It will all be over in a week, and then I'll go back to the routine of running around doing homework. If I'm not running around doing something, I feel lazy.

What has John Calvin done to me?

7 comments:

Allison said...

The problem, of course, is that there ARE two church services every Sunday, so when you don't attend church in the evening, you perforce feel guilty. The obvious solution is to attend a church that only meets once on Sundays; then there is no guilt to be had because you aren't missing anything!

There must be a flaw in that logic SOMEWHERE . . .

Andrea said...

Hmmm...but you can't teach an old dog new tricks. "Train up a child in the way she should go, and when she is old she will not depart from it."

Allison said...

I'm an older dog than you are!

Allison said...

Which really does NOT sound flattering. Hmph.

Andrea said...

Yeah, you are old...almost thirty, right?

AC said...

Wow, I should stay out of this one, but two sisters show so much love for each other. Actually, you can find CRC's that only have church once on Sunday such as the one in San Diego, CA and you wouldn't have that Calvin guilt nudge.

Andrea said...

That wouldn't change the fact that I have grown up going to church twice on Sunday. Removing a second church service wouldn't erase my conditioning.