8.06.2007

seasons are changing







This is only one side of our yard...it's huge!
A small part of our huge living room
My teeny-tiny closet bathroom with standing room for one
My home-theatre bedroom...notice the levels?
The bottom level of my bedroom...see the projector screen?
I am now on the other side of the country. I'm sitting in Woods Coffee, enjoying a mate latte and some great coffee shop music while looking out on the mountains in the sunshine. While it's beautiful, I still miss my friends and family. Saying goodbye was difficult, but my last one (to my parents) was yesterday. Now I just have lots of hellos to say. = )
Downfalls of the move:
1. missing the familiar
2. seeing my bedroom for the first time and seeing only gray and black under fluorescent lighting
3. panicking about the future and whether or not I am actually capable of teaching
4. realizing that my parents had to leave and couldn't stay and play Dutch bingo forever
5. finding out that i have creepy neighbors who whistle at me and try to get my phone number
Highlights of the move:
1. Spending quality time with Mom in the car for 1,650 miles and with both Mom and Dad for almost a week
2. Realizing how generous and loving my parents are
3. playing "Dutch bingo on steroids" for 3 days straight
4. Going to church and getting tons of greetings from people who remember me
5. Discovering one of my roommates loves I Love Lucy and Yours, Mine, and Ours....and The Office!
6. Finding my own way here in Lynden...I'm capable of more than I give myself credit for
7. Making my room a completely different space with the help of my parents...homey and cozy!
8. Having a wonderful phone conversation with a friend and realizing that while I miss people, this move is going to be a good one for me.
*Edit: Sorry I didn't have a "before" picture of my room. It was too depressing.

8 comments:

Nikki said...

mmm... I think I like the levels of the bedroom! I'm glad to see you're making yourself feel at home - that's important. I'll remember to pack familiar things - my coffee sign from Sarah & Neil's wedding is at the top of the list of things to take...I can hardly believe I'm leaving Iowa...maybe for good! I miss you - call me when I have a chance, I'm fairly open with time these days :)

Josh said...

good to hear that you're getting situated. i can't wait to hear how the teaching goes once the year starts! when do you officially start?

Amber Nicole said...

Hope everything goes well for you out there! God bless

Rachel:) said...

Andrea, i just want you to know you are my hero! ALso, you are so encouraing, alot! I have to admit that i feel super encouraged by you and i can share in all your feelings in both sections of your blog. But you are amazing, and you will be able to do everything by the Grace of God!:)
Soli Deo Gloria!:)

Marcus said...

crazy, i was just sitting in woods coffee sipping a matte latte like 2 days ago. we should sit in woods coffee at the same time sometime in the next few days, that would be cool.

Philip said...

I'm jelous of green grass and a nice house. And a theater bedroom, thats so cool. And mountains!!! Ack! mountains!

Margaret said...

So glad you made it safely, Andrea! And there's something about moving that brings out the best in parents, isn't there? I'm definitely up for hanging out anytime--we're basically just hanging out anyway. I'll also research Shakespeare in the park on Granville Island. I'm not your neighbour, so you can give me your phone number. (You have my email address, right?)

Unknown said...

Can't wait to see the place in real life! I'll arrive in Chilliwack on the 10th and maybe on Tuesday we can get together? That would be fun.

You should send me your phone number in an email so I can contact you. When I get my chilliwack number I'll send it to you!

We can be first year teacher buddies far away from home together!!