11.06.2005

Catherland

Ahh, Catherland. The trip was full of walking, observing, listening, and imagining. The fourteen of us left at 5 am and reached Red Cloud, Nebraska around 11. We started out by wandering around the downtown area and also the giftshop. I ended up buying a copy of O, Pioneers! I haven't read it before; I've only read My Antonia. Our tour guide was great; she showed us the old bank and train depot, plus Willa Cather's amazing childhood home, and several other homes belonging to people that Cather wrote about. We ate lunch out on the prairie and did some exploring. Considering we were one mile north of Kansas, the scenery was beautiful. Gotcha, Trevor.

Most of the day was cloudy, but by the time we reached the Burden homestead, the sun began peeking out. Just in time to get several beautiful pictures of the golden farmland basking in the sun.

The day at Catherland is now taking its toll on me. I'm tired and I'm going to sleep now.

4 comments:

Jihad Hernandez said...

Crap. I never went to Red Cloud. Now I have to move back to the Midwest.

A friend (the Cluka from MN) and I are going to see North Country on Tuesday. Basically 10% of our interest is in the story, 90% in the accents.

Jihad Hernandez said...

you'll make me queen?! I always wanted to be carried away on people's shoulders and hailed as their queen. the III I am.

Jihad Hernandez said...

Oh look, here I am, being an internet loser and posting three times on the same entry.

whatever.

How did you come by your "bittersweet leaves" moniker?

Allison said...

Why do you not blog, dear sister?