11.02.2005

sunshine, verbal abuse, and fistfighting

Wow for the weather! Today is the second day of November and it's 75 degrees and sunny. There goes Iowa, being predictably unpredictable again. But I'm not complaining this time. I've enjoyed basking in the warm sunshine as I walk between classes and the library and my apartment.

Schaap and I had a little confrontation over email (is that an oxymoron?). After receiving yet another B on my Advanced Expos paper, I bitterly harangued him for sending an email containing sentence fragments and awarded him a B for his 'effort.' He called me a sourpuss and told me to get over it, adding that he would be greatly surprised if I did not get an A in the class (even if he had to kick it out of me). Seriously, why isn't everyone an English major? Can you get this kind of camaraderie anywhere else? (Can I get a witness, Al and Rosie?)

Today, a Terrell, a Jason, and an Andrea have to come up with a 50-minute lesson for teaching The Lone Ranger and Tonto Fistfight in Heaven to 5 other Ethnic Lit-ers. Perhaps I should finish the book before 3. Yes, Al, I like it, and strangely, I'm reminded of Smoke Signals. Imagine that.

7 comments:

Jihad Hernandez said...

Smoke signals is seriously one of my favorite movies because I hate it so much. Kinda like Fern Gully.

"It's a good day to be indigineous."

And yes. We are the few, the proud, the English majors.

Andrea said...

Definitely the few. We discussed you at dinner tonight (Shannon and I). We said many mean things.

AC said...

Wow, I am sorry to hear about all this Andrea. Everyone can't be an English major. What would the left over people do after the verbal abuse that happens when you have people that like to be very verbous? Besides that, I can't understand the English language in the first place, so I can't write good. (I know it is supposed to say write well, but I am illustrating my point).
Welcome to my life.

Allison said...

Rosie, I'm appalled! How can anyone hate Smoke Signals? It's so wonderful!

"Sometimes it's a good day to die, and sometimes it's a good day to eat fry bread."

Ahem.

I don't know, kiddo, it sounds like you may have to kick the A out of Schaap rather than vice versa . . . keep up the email confrontations.

I ate six pieces of pizza tonight at a carrot-picking party.

Just thought I'd share.

Bye now!

Andrea said...

Hey, Adam, I wondered who you were! And then I figured it out. Smart me. I think today will end up being a good day to die, rather than being a good day to eat fry bread. But we'll see.

Jihad Hernandez said...

I still don't know who this Adam fellow is.

Jihad Hernandez said...

seriously. When I come back to Iowa lets eat candy and crap and watch Smoke Signals. I can't wait to come back. I'm even idealizing the prairie. And I miss the dutch.

Op Sondacht!

Et Smacklek