11.29.2005

the weather outside is....cold

Signs that Dordt should have cancelled classes this morning....

1. I tried to go to class this morning, but I was delayed by the chunk of ice blocking the front door of building D. Fortunately, Stan-O was nearby and he used his mighty shovel to crack the ice.

2. I woke up to the sound of a beeping bulldozer clearing snow from the canyon.

3. In spite of my long underwear and the radiator blasting heat, I was chilled in my 8:00 class.

4. My classroom had 8 windows in it, but the sunlight was blocked by drifted snow covering the panes.

5. Schaap repeatedly said that he thought about cancelling our 8:00 this morning.

6. I-80 (gateway to the west) is closed.

7. My brother updated his Christmas list to include a snowblower.

8. Student Services was flooded with phone calls from students saying they were stuck in various places due to blizzard-like conditions.

Come on, people. Think.

Well, I don't really mind having class. I might have been bored without school, because in order to be motivated to do homework, I have to have some sort of forced structure on my day. And in spite of a few mishaps, all of my roommates arrived safely. Others were not so fortunate: a classmate of mine is missing four roommates, who are stranded on the other side of I-80.

Oh, there's no place like home for the holidays.....

4 comments:

AC said...

Andrea, it is good to hear about the misfortunes of Dordt. It is definitely odd that classes don't get cancelled. Someone said that classes have only been cancelled once and that was because someone called up KDCR and claimed to be the pres.
Things in California are good. I can't complain. Papers looming, as in due, but that is about it.

Nikki said...

Yes! Preach it Sister - next time, they'll cancel!

Allison said...

SNOW! We got SNOW!! BEAUTIFUL SNOW! Even more beautiful than Iowa, I bet. Maybe. :)

Andrea said...

Ha.